Our Family Genealogy Pages

Discovering our American, Canadian and European Ancestors

Alpheus Bohanan

Alpheus Bohanan

Male 1737 -

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Alpheus Bohanan 
    Born 1737 
    Gender Male 
    Person ID I15311  stewartsny.com
    Last Modified 15 Sep 2021 

    Married: 1x1. Alpheus Albert Bohanon,   b. 1756,   d. 13 Oct 1823  (Age 67 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 15 Sep 2021 
    Family ID F5481  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 

      Told by:


      (at the age of 83 years)

      This history touches briefly the lives of Alphius Behunin (or Bohannon) an Irish soldier in the British Army, Alphius Albert Behunin II, and his wife Nancy Lords, Isaac Behunin, and his wife Elmina Tyler, also the lives of Elijah Cutler Behunin and his wife Tabitha Jane Earl.

      A similar history has been found with the following citation:

      Source: L.D.S. History Library g.s., call# 1320828 project and roll# XLIB7-102#2752

      Alphus Behunin I was born about 1737 and probably in Ireland. He was an Irish soldier in the British Army. He married an Irish girl, and they sailed to America [about 1756-57]. Shortly after his arrival in America he set sail back to Ireland to get furniture to furnish his house. The ship he was on was lost at sea. There is no further record of him. To Alphius I, and his wife was born a son whom they named Albert Alphius Behunin II.

      There is a tradition that Albert Alphius II fought in the Revolutionary War, under General Washington for 7 1/2 years. He fought also in the War of 1812 under General Putnam for 3 1/2 years. He married a girl by the name of Nancy. Nancy lost her life while crossing the St. Lawrence River. Her body was found frozen in the ice the next spring in Lake Ontario.

      Albert Alphius Behunin II was a fisherman on Lake Erie, and he told his son Isaac Behunin, who told his son Elijah Cutler Behunin, who told his son Isaac Martin Behunin of a band of Indians, a friendly tribe who lived around Lake Erie. The men were about 9 or 10 feet in height and very raw boned. They weighed about 250 lbs. The women of this tribe were about 8 feet tall. These Indians were all very fleet footed, and could run down deer and other wild animals. The other Indian tribes around there were so jealous of them that they killed them all off.

      Alphus II built a nice frame house near Richland, Oswego Co., New York. He and Nancy were parents of eight children. Our ancestor, Isaac was born in Richland, Oswego Co., N.Y. in 1803. He married Meribah Morton, of Vermont on 28 Dec. 1823. They had 5 children. Meribah died after the last son was born. They joined the church in N.Y. and followed the saints to Kirtland, Ohio. Isaac met and married Elmina Tyler in Kirtland on 23 Oct, 1834. They followed the saints to Nauvoo, Illinois. After the saints were driven out of Nauvoo, Isaac and Elmina came to Utah, arriving in October 1850. Isaac Behunin helped build the Kirtland Temple and at one time was a bodyguard to the Prophet Joseph Smith. Isaac Behunin fought in the Walker War of Utah.

      Children of Isaac and Elmina Tyler

      Andrew Ira 14 Aug 1835 Springfield, Del. Co., Pennsylvania
      Alma Moses 12 Mar 1837 Maxon. Co., Ohio
      Polly 10 Jun 1838 Springfield, Hancock Co., Illinois
      Nancy Meribah 7 Feb 1841 Springfield, Hancock Co., Illinois
      Mosiah Stephen 16 May 1844 Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois
      Hyrum Smith 22 Apr 1845 Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois
      Elijah Cutler 7 Nov 1847 Council Bluffs, Ptwt Co., Iowa
      Elmina Priscilla 30 Sept 1851 Provo, Utah Co., Utah
      Benjamin 4 Feb 1853 Ephraim, Sanpete Co., Utah

      To Isaac and Elmina was born a son named Elijah Cutler Behunin. He was born 7 November 1847 at Council Bluffs, Iowa. He crossed the plains with his family. He was only three years old at the time. He has a faint recollection of crossing the Platt River. They arrived in Salt Lake City in 1850. Isaac and Elmina lived in Rockville, Utah. Elijah moved with his family to Provo, Utah in 1852. They were called to go and help settle Fort Ephraim, SanPete Co., Utah in 1852 (Church source document says 1853). From Ephraim they were called to go to Southern Utah, to settle Washington County.

      Elijah married Tabitha Jane Earl, March 22, 1868, at Rockville, Utah. He fought in the Black Hawk War in 1866-67 under James T. S. Allred. To Elijah and Tabitha were born 13 children. Much of his time was spent in Dixie. His record may be found in Volume 19 of the Indian War Veterans, in the state office at Salt Lake City, Utah. He was killed in a car wreck while driving his car down Siguard Canyon, Sevier County, Utah on Nov 8, 1933. He was laid to rest at Torrey, Wayne Co., Utah.

      Elijah C. Behunin and Jane Earl built many homes in different parts of southern Utah. They built 5 homes in Wayne Co., one near Zion National Park and one in St. George Utah.

      In the fall of 1882, President Thurber called Elijah C. Behunin from Sevier Co. to go down into what is now called Caineville to open up the little valley for more settlers. They left Sevier Co. in the fall, 7th of Nov. 1882 with their family and all of their belongings in a wagon.

      There were no roads from Torrey on down into this valley so therefore they were compelled to build a road as they traveled. They reached this small valley 12 days later. On Nov. 18th 1882, having traveled a hundred miles, they cleared a spot of ground and built a little log cabin that is still standing on the left hand side of the road as you enter this valley. Their little log cabin has stood there for over 75 years. The following spring they cleared the ground and planted and raised a crop. That same year a number of families came and settled there. A town was organized and was named Caineville in honor of Utah's representative to Congress, John T. Caine. They lived here for a few years, and then moved on up the country to a place called Notom. From here they moved to Emery Co. Utah. Sickness compelled them to leave there and they moved back to Caineville. But not being satisfied with their home they bought a place at Fruita, Wayne Co. and there they lived for several years farming and raising fruit. They were quite content and happy raising their family in Fruita, when misfortune overtook them and their home burned down.

      From Fruita they moved to a place called Fish Creek. There they prospered real well until they decided it was a lonely life, so they bought a home in Torrey, Wayne Co. From 1913 to 1915 they spent in St. George, Utah working in the Latter-Day-Saint Temple.