Samuel Edson Abbott

Male 1876 - 1962  (85 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Samuel Edson Abbott 
    Born 30 Apr 1876 
    Gender Male 
    Died 12 Jan 1962 
    Person ID I78274  tree2019
    Last Modified 19 May 2020 

    Father Samuel S. B. Abbott 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Alice Cullen 
    Relationship natural 
    Family ID F54599  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Samuel Edson Abbott - April 30, 1876 - January 12, 1962. Plot K-401. Military Service: Veteran of the United States Army during World War I. Son of Samuel S. B. and Alice Cullen Abbott.
      Newspaper Obituary - Thursday, January 18, 1962 Pulaski Democrat - Pulaski, New York - Selkirk Man Found Dead - Samuel E. Abbott, of Selkirk, a veteran of World War I, and a medical graduate, was found dead at his cottage, Friday, of a self-inflicted gunshot. Oswego County District Attorney John R. Murray ruled the death an apparent suicide. Mr. Abbott was pronounced dead at the scene by Dr. John L. H. Mason acting coroner's physician. Trooper H. L. Fox of the local substation, who investigated, said a rifle was found on the bed beside the man. Trooper Fox also stated that a neighbor, Willard Schmitt, went to the Abbott cottage. Friday morning and found the body. Mr. Abbott lived alone. Private funeral services were held at 2 p.m. at the Foster Funeral Home with the Rev. Arthur Harrington, rector of St. James Episcopal Church, officiating. Interment was in Daysville cemetery. Surviving are three sisters. Miss Katherine and Miss Ann Abbott of Syracuse, and Mrs. W. E. Penny of Florida. Mr. Abbott was born April 30, 1876, at Cato, the son of Samuel S. B. and Alice Cullin [sic] Abbott. He was graduated from the YMCA College at Springfield and Tufts Medical College at Boston, Massachusetts. He was engaged in medical work in Boston, Virginia and Colorado. Prior to World War I. he was employed at a hospital in England with the National War Work Council. Mr. Abbott enlisted in the Army in World War I. He was gassed and injured during the war and was unable upon his discharge to continue his medical career. About 30 years ago, he came to Selkirk and had done carpentry work in the Pine Grove and Selkirk areas. More recently he had worked in apple orchards in the Williamson area during the summer and fall months. He never married.