Horace Alexander Knight

1840 - 1912  (72 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Horace Alexander Knight 
    Born 8 Apr 1840 
    Gender Unknown 
    Died 13 Jun 1912 
    Age 72 years 
    Person ID I49541  tree2019
    Last Modified 19 May 2020 

    Family Ancestors Phoebe Esther Woods,   b. 4 May 1845,   d. 4 Nov 1936  (Age 91 years) 
     1. Mary Knight,   b. 8 Jan 1885  [natural]
    Last Modified 19 May 2020 
    Family ID F18683  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • June 13, 1912 ~ Horace Alexander Knight, age 72 years, 2 months, 5 days, Married, Retired merchant, born in Auburn, New York, Son of Horace Litt_ Knight, and Mary Hodges Smith born in New York City, Died in Pulaski of mitral insufficiency.

      Newspaper Obituary - Wednesday, June 19, 1912 Pulaski Democrat - Pulaski, New York - Horace A. Knight - Horace Alexander Knight, of this village, aged 79 years, died June 13, 1912 and his home on Jefferson Avenue, after a severe illness of six months. He was born at Auburn, New York, the son of Horace L. Knight, one of Auburn's former substantial merchants. He was educated in the best schools of the city and about 55 years of his life was spent there. After his school days he entered his father's store as a clerk and in a few years became a partner in the store. In 1890 he moved to Ottawa, Canada, where he was in business a few years. Later he came to Pulaski, engaging in the insurance business. In 1865 he married Miss Phebe E. Woods, a daughter of Gilbert A. Woods, of Pulaski, who survives him. Only two of the five children born to them are living, a son, Gilbert Woods Knight, of Utica and Miss Mary Sherwood Knight, of Pulaski; one sister, Mrs. Joseph Sherwood, of Utica, who was with him in his final sickness and when he died. Mr. Knight was reared in a cultured and Christian home and was imbued with a strong love of Christ his Savior, and faith in Him. He united with the First Presbyterian church of Auburn when he was twenty years old and was a steady attendant and for some time a teacher in the Sunday school. After his removal to Pulaski he brought his letter and from there united with the Congregational church here. His funeral was held at his home Sunday afternoon. His pastor, Rev. H. A. Lawrence officiating. Monday morning following, his remains were taken to Auburn for burial in the family lot at Fort Hill cemetery.