Becky Elaine Britton

Female 1969 - 2002  (32 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Becky Elaine Britton 
    Born 4 Jul 1969 
    Gender Female 
    Died 14 Mar 2002 
    Age 32 years 
    Patriarch & Matriarch
    Herman C. Britton  (Grandfather) 
    Sarah Elizabeth Murrills,   b. 17 Mar 1787, Edmonton, Middlesex, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Feb 1845, Edmonton, Middlesex, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 57 years)  (5 x Great Grandmother) 
    Person ID I17361  tree2019
    Last Modified 19 May 2020 

    Father Ancestors Stephen D. Britton 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Ancestors Betty E. Maitland 
    Relationship natural 
    Family ID F6010  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Last Modified 19 May 2020 
    Family ID F21410  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Mark Moot 
     1. Stephanie Moot  [natural]
     2. Jason Moot  [natural]
    Last Modified 19 May 2020 
    Family ID F10678  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 3 Patrick Daniel 
     1. Kyle Bryant Daniel
    Last Modified 19 May 2020 
    Family ID F10679  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • The funeral for Becky E. Britton, 32, formerly of Richland NY, will be at 8 p.m. Thursday [March 28, 2002] at Foster-Hax Funeral Home. Burial will be later in the spring in Fairview Cemetery in Williamstown NY.

      Ms. Britton was a victim of a homicide, which is under investigation. Her body was found March 14, 2002, in the trunk of a car driven through Utah by Patrick Daniel, of Ann Arbor MI, formerly of Scriba NY.

      Ms. Britton left Oswego County in 1994 or 1995 and had resided for a time in Ann Arbor.

      Born July 4, 1969, in Watertown, daughter of Steven D. and Betty E. Maitland Britton, she graduated from Pulaski Academy and Central School in 1987.

      Ms. Britton attended Kalamazoo (MI) Community College and was a licensed beautician in New York state. She had been married.

      Surviving besides her parents are her daughter Stephanie Moot and son Jason Moot, both of Altmar NY; sister Deloris E. Gittino of Cicero NY; brother Steven Britton, Jr., of Pulaski NY; and paternal grandfather Herman C. Britton of Williamstown NY.

      Published in the Watertown (NY) Daily Times on Wednesday, March 27, 2002

      Post-Standard, The (Syracuse, NY) - October 19, 2002Browse Issues
      Steven and Betty Britton of Richland will arrive Monday in a Michigan courtroom to face the man police say strangled their daughter, then dismembered and froze her.

      For seven years, they waited for Becky Britton to come home. They didn't expect it would be in a coffin.

      They hired a private investigator. They looked themselves. Whenever the phone rang, they prayed it would be her.

      Becky Britton abandoned her husband and two children in early 1995 when she left the state with her boyfriend, Patrick Daniel.

      On April 25, the Brittons buried Becky, 32, in Fairview Cemetery in Williamstown.

      "There's a pain in my body that will never go away," her father said. "I always wished I would happen to be somewhere and see her. There is no doubt in my mind, she would have come home with me."

      The Brittons hope to learn more about their daughter's life and death starting Monday when they sit through three days of testimony during Daniel's court hearing.

      Ann Arbor Police in Michigan charged Daniel with murdering Britton and mutilating her body. They don't know exactly when Britton was killed, but say Daniel strangled her, cut up her body and kept her body parts in a freezer in the apartment they shared until he was ready to dispose of them. Detectives also say Daniel killed another person, Robert Bilton Jr., 35, of Detroit, Mich., so he could change his identity after Britton's murder.

      Utah Highway Patrol officers found the bodies of Britton and Bilton in the trunk of a car that Daniel was driving March 14 through Sevier County, police reports say.

      If Daniel, 32, is convicted of murdering Britton and Bilton, he will spend his life in prison without the chance of parole, said First Assistant Public Defender Timothy Niemann.

      Last month, Washtenaw County District Judge John Collins ruled Daniel is competent to stand trial, according to Ann Arbor Police Detective Amy Ellinger. Next week, nearly two dozen people will testify in court about the events leading to deaths of Bilton and Britton, she said. Steven and Betty Britton said they, too, will be there.

      They've known about Daniel for years.

      They know he is the same man who was accused in 1993 of shaking his 3-month-old daughter, Hilary Cookhouse, until she was unresponsive. The infant sustained permanent brain damage, but an Oswego County Court judge later dismissed assault charges because the prosecution waited too long to announce it was ready for trial.

      Hilary turned 10 on Wednesday. She attends special education classes at Mott Road Elementary School, where she's in the third grade. She lives in Fayetteville with her mother, stepfather and stepsister.

      The Brittons said they know Daniel is the man who helped break up their daughter's marriage.

      In 1994, Becky was married and had two children when her husband invited Daniel to live with the family in Oswego County, the Brittons said. Later that year, Becky and her husband divorced and she learned she was pregnant with Daniel's child; she left early the next year with Daniel without telling anyone, her mother said.

      Seven weeks after Britton gave birth to a baby boy in May 1995, she sent her parents a photograph of her son, Kyle Bryant Britton. That was the last time Britton's family heard from her. Neither the Brittons nor authorities can say what happened to the boy, who would be 7 years old now. However, they're still searching for him.

      The Brittons said they wondered what Becky's life was like, how Daniel treated her and why she never called.

      "She was on my mind every hour of the day she was gone," Steven Britton Sr. said. "When he took my daughter away from me, he took part of my life away from me."

      Daniel and Britton traveled the country, stopping in California, Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania and Virginia, among other states, Detective Ellinger said. Daniel used different aliases in different places. Everywhere they went, Daniel carried a journal to remember what name to use, the detective said.

      "We knew him by "Rick'," Betty Britton said. "In Michigan, the police knew him by my husband's name."

      When Utah state police stopped Daniel in March, he again claimed to be Steve Britton.

      They pulled him over because his car was missing a license plate. When he couldn't prove he was Steve Britton, they asked to search the vehicle. That's when the officers discovered the two bodies in the trunk.

      An autopsy showed Bilton had been strangled not long before with a wire or cord and suffered a blow to the head. Britton was killed sometime between September and late November, her autopsy showed. She, too, was strangled and was kept in the freezer until shortly before her body was discovered, Ellinger said. No one had ever reported her missing, the detective said.

      When police searched Daniel's home after his arrest, they learned about his aliases and found Bilton's empty wallet, a copy of his birth certificate and Social Security number, investigators said. Ann Arbor police also said Daniel hired Bilton at a Detroit rehabilitation center and homeless shelter. Daniel promised to pay Bilton $10 an hour to be a caretaker for an apartment complex, according to police.

      Daniel's journal described how he kept Britton's body in a basement freezer at their home at Beacon Hill on Ann Arbor's south side for several months before heading to Las Vegas, detectives said. The journal also indicated he planned to dispose of the bodies in a remote area and torch the car, they said.

      Since then , Ann Arbor police have tried to learn as much as they can about the victims and their relationships with Daniel. To do that, they interviewed friends, family, employers, police and neighbors. Daniel has not confessed, but he remains held without bail at the Washtenaw County Jail, Ellinger said.

      In the meantime, they visit their daughter's grave, which is adorned with a cross and flowers. They cry. And they wish they could tell Becky all the things she missed while she was gone.

      Her brother, Steve Jr., is now 25 years old and working in Syracuse. Her sister, Deloris Gittino of Cicero, is married with two children. And Becky's children, Jason Moot, 13, and Stephanie Moot, 9, who live in Altmar, still visit their grandparents and ask about their mother.

      And after years of wondering about their daughter, Steven Sr. and Betty Britton have Becky back.

      "Now I come down here and look at her grave site," Steve Britton Sr. said. "There's nothing I can do for her, but at least she's home. My greatest hope was that she would come home, but not this way."

      To help

      If anyone has information about the case, contact Ann Arbor Police Detective Amy Ellinger by e-mail at or by phone at (734) 996-3282.

      Two slayings, one suspect


      Becky Britton, 32, formerly of Oswego County, ran away in the 1990s with boyfriend Patrick Daniel, who now is accused of killing her.


      Robert Bilton Jr., 35, of Detroit, Mich., was found dead with Britton's corpse in a car that Daniel was driving, Utah police say.


      Patrick Daniel, 32, formerly of Oswego County, could spend life in prison without parole if he is convicted of killing Britton and Bilton, his lawyer says.

      Chronology: Becky A. Britton, Robert Bilton Jr., and Patrick Daniel

      The following events preceded the deaths of Becky A. Britton, 32, a former Oswego County resident, and Robert Bilton Jr., 35, a lifelong Michigan resident. Patrick Daniel, 32, who lived in Onondaga and Oswego counties, has been charged with killing them.

      January 1993: Daniel is accused of shaking his 3-month-old daughter until she is unresponsive. Doctors at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester say the infant suffered severe brain damage. State police in Fulton charge Daniel with felony assault and misdemeanor endangering the welfare of a child. He faces up to 15 years in state prison, if convicted.

      December 1993: Oswego County Court Judge James McCarthy rules that prosecutors failed to explain to a grand jury how circumstantial evidence works and throws out an indictment that charges Daniel with violently shaking his daughter.

      Feb. 13, 1994: State University College at Oswego police charge Daniel with felony grand larceny. Police say he stole more than $4,000 worth of auto manuals in July 1993 from the college's library, while he was a student at the college.

      Early 1994: Daniel and Becky Moot, whose maiden name is Britton, have an affair. In June, Moot leaves her husband, Mark, and their children. Soon after, they divorce. Becky changes her name back to Becky Britton, and moves in with Daniel.

      February 1995: Oswego County Judge John Brandt tosses out another indictment that charged Daniel, now living in Syracuse, with assaulting his daughter in 1993. Brandt rules that the prosecution waited seven months to announce they were ready for trial when the legal limit is six months. The "shaken baby" case never makes it back to court.

      Early 1995: Daniel and Britton leave New York state. Daniel jumps bail on the grand larceny charge pending against him in Oswego County.

      May 22, 1995: Britton gives birth, she says, to Daniel's son, Kyle Bryant Britton. Seven weeks later, Becky Britton sends her parents a photograph of the baby. That's the last the Britton family hears from her. No one knows what happened to the child, who would be 7 years old now.

      1997: Becky Britton gets a driver's license in Missouri.

      Spring 2000: Daniel and Britton arrive in Washtenaw County, Michigan. They introduce themselves as Allan Mark Miller and Michelle Miller, and say they are married. They rent a farmhouse in rural Manchester for about nine months in 2000.

      June 2001: Daniel and Britton are living on Beacon Hill Street in Ann Arbor, Mich., under the aliases Steve and Becky Britton. Daniel is working at a local store, Computer Alley.

      Late 2001: Daniel moves into a condominium in Ann Arbor, Mich., with a new girlfriend, Dusty Guinn, police said. He tells his boss Britton and he divorced, and she has returned to New York, according to Ann Arbor police. There is no sign of Britton. No one reports her disappearance.

      March 11, 2002: Neighbors hear odd noises from Daniel's condominium. They hear a man saying, "No, no, I don't want to go," and a dragging sound. Next-door neighbor Sarah Mark calls police. No one is at Daniel's home when officers arrive.

      March 12: Daniel tells Mark his friend "Bob" had an epileptic seizure the night before. He said he had to rush his friend to the hospital. Ann Arbor police identify "Bob" as Robert Bilton Jr., of Detroit. Detectives believe Daniel killed Bilton so he could change his identity after Britton's murder. Daniel packs up his car and leaves on a trip to Las Vegas. His girlfriend (Guinn) visits her parents. Police say she is unaware of Daniel's plans.

      March 14: Utah state troopers pull over the 1988 Acura Legend Daniel is driving. The car, which has just one Missouri license plate, is registered to Becky Britton. Daniel gives the fake name of Steve Britton. He tells the trooper he is driving to Las Vegas to visit his ill wife. Utah Highway Patrol officers charge Daniel, formerly of Scriba, with two counts of murder after discovering the bodies of a man and woman in the trunk of the car. The man has a noose around his neck. The woman's body is partially frozen and dismembered.

      March 19: Ann Arbor police release the victims' names. They are Britton, formerly of Richland, and Bilton, who grew up in Dearborn, Mich.

      - Sources: Ann Arbor Police Department and Becky Britton's parents, Steven Sr. and Betty Britton.
      Class of 1987 PACS