Samuel Eddy

Male 1608 - 1687  (79 years)


 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name Samuel Eddy  [1, 2
    Born 15 May 1608  Cranbrook, Co., Kent, Eng. Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2
    Gender Male 
    Died 12 Nov 1687  Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    • Age: 79
    Buried United States Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Person ID I12748  Stewartsnydotcom
    Last Modified 14 Oct 2019 

    Father Ancestors Reverend William Eddye,   b. 8 Sep 1558, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Nov 1616, Cranbrook, Kent, , England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 58 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Mary Fosten,   b. 19 Sep 1568, Cranbrook, Kent, , England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Jul 1611, Cranbrook, Kent, , England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 42 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Married 20 Nov 1587  Cranbrook, Kent, , England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F68  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Elizabeth Savery,   b. 1606, Haninton, Wiltshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 24 May 1689, Swansea, Bristol, MA, Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years) 
    Married 1630  Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
    Married: 2x1. John Eddy,   b. 25 Dec 1637, Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 May 1715, Tisbury, Dukes, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years)  [natural]
     2. Hannah Eddy,   b. 23 Jun 1647  [natural]
    Married: 1x3. Obadiah Eddy,   b. 1645, Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Nov 1727, Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 82 years)  [natural]
    Married: 2x4. Zachariah Savery Eddy,   b. 7 Mar 1639, Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 4 Sep 1718, Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years)  [natural]
    Married: 1x5. Caleb Savary Eddy,   b. 1643, Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Mar 1713, Swansea, Bristol, Massachusetts, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 70 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 14 Oct 2019 
    Family ID F4022  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • p. 22 of The Eddy Family in America (Second Generation)

      10 Samuel Eddy (William) bapt. May. 15, 1608, at Cranbrook, Co. Kent, England (Church Register); d. Nov. 12, 1687, at Swansea, Mass. (Plymouth Ch. Rec., Vol. I, p. 262); m. Elizabeth . . . (probably Savery) who d. May 24, 1689, "in her 82nd year at the end of it;" in Swansea, Mass. (Plymouth Ch. Rec., Vol. I, p. 265).

      PORTIONS OF LARGE PRING IN BIO:

      It is not known whether Samuel and Elizabeth were married before they came to New England. It is supposed that Elizabeth's name was Savery from the following facts: A deed dated Feb. 20, 1662 (Plymouth Co. Deeds, 2.2.III) states that Thomas Savery makes over to Samuell Eedey, his brother-in-law, land in Puncateesett, lying over against Road Island. If Thomas Savery was a brother-in-law of Samuel Eddy, either he married Samuel's sister or Smuel married his sister. Thomas Savery's wife was named Ann. Samuel Eddy had a sister Anna, but there seems to be no doubt that Anna Eddy was the wife of Barnabas Wines. If Samuel's sister Anna was the wife of Barnabas Wines, then she was not the wife of Thomas Savery, and therefore Samuel Eddy's wife was Elizabeth Savery, sister of Thomas. It is possible that both Ann, wife of Thomas Savery and Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Eddy, were sisters, but if that were the case, it does not seem likely that Ann Savery (Savory) would have used the expression "our brother-in-law" in the following deed, dated Mar. 22, 1677/78. Ann Savery, widow, conveyed to her two sons "land at four mile brook which fell to my late husband Thomas Savery, by exchange with our brother-in-law, Samuel Eddy" (Plymouth Col. Rec., Vol. IV, p. 311).

      Of the life of Samuel Eddy in England little is known. In accordance with his father's will, his brother Phineas Eddy was to care for his education and apprentice him to some trade. He learned the trade of a tailor. Upon reaching hte age of twenty-two years he was to receive by inheritance £100. So in May of 1630 he must have received this sum and probably used a goodly portion of it to pay his passage to New England. It is known that his brother John, whom he accompanied to New England, lived either in Boxted, County of Essex, or in Nayland, County of Suffolk, in England. These two parishes are on opposite sides of the River Stour, which separates the two counties. It is possible that the records of Boxted Church, which unfortunately are lost for the years between 1617 and 1662, might have contained the record of the marriage of Samuel and Elizabeth.

      Samuel Eddy came to New England with his brother John Eddyh on the "Handmaid," leaving the port of London on August 10, 1630 and arriving at Plymouth Harbor on the 29th of October, 1630 (Old Style), after a very stormy twelve weeks at sea (See quotations under John Eddy, No. 5). Both Samuel and Jhon intended to join their distant connections, the Winthrops and the Doggetts, who had come to New England earlier in this same year, and who had settled at Boston, but they were not permitted to do so because htey had neglected to obtain letters from the Plymouth Colony, dismissing them from that colony to the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The following quotation from Goodwin's "pilgrim Republic refers to this fact. "As two of the passengers (of the Handmaid) rated as gentlemen, desired to settle at Boston, Standish took them there, but the Bay people refused to receive them because they had no testimoy." Both the Eddys returned with Standish to Plymouth and Samuel Eddy remained there. It has been conjectured by some that he found his bride in Plymouth and that she not want to leave her relatives in Plymouth, so Samuel was persuaded to remain there. He did not accompany his brother, John Eddy, when John and his family left in the winter of 1631/31, having procured the necessary letters from Plymouth to Massachusetts Bay, in accordance with the agreement between the two colonies.

      It must be remembered that Samuel Eddy was only twenty-two years of age had just finished an apprenticeship in the tailoring trade, when he set sail for New England. What remained of his inheritance after paying for his passage must have been nearly all expended when he purchased the property on Spring Hill from Experience Michell (Mitchell). This was then on South Street and is now No. 34 and 36 Market St. The deed was dated May 9, 1631.

      Experience Michell, sould unto Samuell Eeddy his dwelling house, garden plott fence, wth all things nailefast in ye same; for ye summe of twelfe pounds starling, as apears more at large by a writing under their hands to which ffrancis Eaton was witness. Only this was excepted by ye above said Experience Michell, so much of ye said garden plote as lyeth between ye ende of ye youse ye streete; throw which notwithstanding he was to allow ye said Samuell a convienient way of Pasage, and to fence ye said ground (thus excepted) at his owne charge to maintaine ye same. (plym. Col. Deeds; Vol. 1, p. 18.)

      Samuel thus acquired a house, perhaps a home for his bride. With the purchase of this property he also acquired whatever rights went with it as a landholder in Plymouth. Thus, it is that six years later on Nov. 7, 1637, Samuel received three acres of land at New Field, which was set off to him by the town.

      The persons mentioned had divers porcons allowed them 3 acres in breadth and 2 in length next to the land of John Dunham, the elder, . . . to Samuell Eedey, 3 acres . . . all wch psons have or are to build in the towne of Plymouth and these lands to belong to their dwelling houses there and not to be sold from their houses. (plym. Court Orders, Vol. 1, p. 46.)

      The "New Field" was the first section of cleared ground found by the people of Plymouth at a distance from the town. They used it as a planting ground for the most part and so these acres were to be considered as a garden plot belonging to each estate, and could not be sold apart from such homestead.

      On Jan. 1, 1632/33 Samuel Eddy was admitted to the "freedom of the colony" and received the oath (Court Orders of Plym., Vol. 1, p. 1 and p. 5). A list of the names of the "Freemen of the Incorporation of Plymouth in New England," dated 1633, contains the name, Samuell Eedey. This list at first numbered only 68 men, but later 91 men (Plym. Court Orders, Vol. 1, p. 4). At this time there were about 300 persons in Plymouth.

      On Jan. 2, 1633 the "persons were rated for the public use," that is, the tax was assessed. Samuell Eedey's tax was 9 shillings. This was the lowest tax assessed to any man. Of the 89 persons on the tax-list, 44 were taxed 9 sh. This was just half that of Miles Standish, who was assessed 18 shillings, while Governor Winslow's tax was £2-5 sh. and Bradford's was £1-16 sh., Prince's, £1-7 sh. and John Alden's £1-4 sh.

      On March 24, 1633, the lists were again made up. Samuel's tax remained the same. At various times lists of the freemen were made and sometimes the records contain the names of the freemen who were present or absent from a given town meeting. A list taken Mar. 7, 1636 contains the name of Samuel (Plym. Court Orders, Vol. 1, p. 53). In Oct. 1646 Samuel was absent from the town meeting, but was present in December of the same year (Plym. Rec.).

      On Sept. 1, 1640 the order went forth that "every inhabitant of every Towne within the Government fitt and able to beare armes must be trayned (at least) six tymes in the year." In 1643 Samuel was enrolled as a person capable of bearing arms and was made a member of a troop enrolled for the defence of the Colony against the Indians (Hist. of Middleboro, p. 588). On Nov. 29, 1652, Samuel Eddy was a witness to a deed for the purchase of lands from the Indians, "Wosamequen and Wamsutta my sonne", by Bradford, Standish, Winslow and others (May. Des. 6.245). This land is now the town of New Bedford (Hist. of New Bedford, Bristol Col., Mass. 1858, by Daniel Ricketson). In June 1668 it is recorded that Samuel voted in a town meeting in Plymouth (plym. Rec., p. 101).

      On May 29, 1670 an exact list of all the names of the "Freemen of the Jurisdiction of New Plymouth," contains the name of Samuel Eedey. This list was made because the towns of Middleberry and Swansea had been incorporated and all those freemen, who had taken up residence in either were listed as freemen of those towns and no longer as belonging to Plymouth. Samuel remained in Plymouth. His son Zachariah was listed as a resident of Swansea but neither Caleb nor Obadiah appear on the lists, as they had not at this time qualified as freemen.

      On Aug. 5, 1672 "The Swamp at Wellingsley [a section to the south of the town] lying up the brooke is Graunted wholly unto the Neighbors living there, viz. John Jourdain, Gyles Rickard, Jun., Nathaniel Morton, Sen'r, Abraham Jackson and Samuell Eedey."

      On June 27, 1677 Samuel's name appears as a proprietor of land in the Township of Middleborough, but this term proprietor does not mean that Samuel was a resident of Middleborough, but only that he was an owner of property in that town (Rec. of Town of Plym., Vol. 1, p. 191).

      On June 25, 1678, it was voted that "The collectors to Gather the minnesters maintainence for this year are William Clarke and Abraham Jackson who are to doe it on the same conditions as it was performed the last yeer: . . . five shillings was allowed to Goodman Edey, viz. Samuell Edey for work don by him in time of warr in making Clothes for Souldiers." (Plym. Col. Rec., Vol. 1, p. 157.) At this time Samuel was seventy years old. Though he could not fight as a soldier, he could aid by using his hands in helping to make clothes for the fighters, thereby finding a use for the trade he had learned in boyhood.

      From these records it is evident that Samuel and Elizabeth were residents of Plymouth all their lives until this date and nevre were residents of Middleboro. But at this time both were over seventy years of age. Their four sons had long since left Plymouth, and they were alone. Probably sometime between June 1678 and December 1681 Caleb or Zachariah of Swansea persuaded them that it was time that they gave up their own home at Plymouth, for in Dec. 1681 when giving a deed Samuel and Elizabeth gave their residence as Swansea. They both died there.

      By a study of the records, it is possible to learn much about the life of Samuel and his family. Soon after arriving at Plymouth, Samuel must have taken an apprentice boy to teach him the tailor's trade, unless perhaps he had brought him from England, for the records state that on Jan. 10, 1632:

      Thos Brian, the serv't of Samuell Eedy was brought before the Gov. and Mr. Will Bradford, Mr. John Done, Stephen Hopkins and William Gilson, Asst. because the said Thomas had runne away and absented himself five daies from his master's service & being lost in the wood & found by an Indian, was forced to returne & for this his offense was privately whipped before the Govr & Council aforementioned.

      The following year it is recorded that ffrancis Eaton, carpenter, owed Sam Eedy £2. Perhaps Samuel had been making some clothes for the Eaton family.

      So far as the records show, John Eddy, born on Dec. 25, 1637 was the oldest child of Samuel and Elizabeth. There may have been and probably were other children born before this time. In the first years of his sojourn in the new colony, there was probably very little opportunity for Samuel to ply his tailoring trade, which in England at that time was so profitable. Instead it was necessary for this young man to wrest a living for himself and his family from the soil, a calling for which he doubtless had no preparation. For these reasons and perhaps for others Samuel and Elizabeth found life in the new country very hard, so that by 1638, they were rated among the "poore of the town." In the spring of 1624 Edward Winslow returned from a trip to England and brought with him the first cattle introduced into the Colony, and a letter from James Shurley, one of the merchant-adventurers, presenting a heifer, with its increase, as a gift for the benefit of the poor of the town. Each year the "poores stock" as it was called, was assigned to those who needed it.

      (little type on p. 24 skipped)

      Twice Elizabeth Eddy was summoned to appear before the Coutr of Plymouth. It is recorded that on "Oct. 7, 1651, Wee further present Elizabeth Eeddy, Sen'r of the towne of Plymouth for laboring, that is to say, for wringing and hanging out clothes on the Lord's day, in time of publicke Exercise." She was fined ten shillings, but this fine was remitted. (Court Orders, Vol. II, p. 73.)

      (little type on p. 25 skipped)

      Samuel Eddy lived at the house which he purchased from Experience Mitchell until about 1645. During that time he was granted "6 acres of upland on the north west side of Fresh Lake, about the fishing place and 30 acres of Upland at Narrogansett Hill and 4 acres of meddow or else a half there meddow ground to yt" (Plymouth Court Orders, Vol. II, p. 26). Fresh Lake is better known by the name of Billington Sea. Narrogansett Hill was the high land to the west of the town, where a battle between two Indian tribes, the Narragansetts and the Pochanockets, had occurred.

      On July 6, 1638, Samuel Eddy appears in two transactions as follows:

      (little type on p. 25 skipped)

      In 1642 Samuel purchased a house, barn and other buildings at Willingsley and Wayberry Plain. This was a section beginning at Hobbs Hole and extending along a brook which had its source about a mile inland. Waybeerry Plain (Playne) appears often on the early maps as Oberry and Woeberry Plain, near the source of the brook aforementioned. Another method of describing this section would be to call it the settlement near Sandwich St. at Hobbs Hole and the South Pond Road.

      (little type on p. 25 skipped)

      This home at Wellingsley was their home so long as Samuel and Elizabeth lived in Plymouth. Within a month of the time that they purchased this place they apprenticed little John Eddy to one of the neighbors, Francis Goulder, who lived farther down the borok near Hobbs Hole. He was hardly a mile away.

      At some time previous to 1660 Samuel Eddy had come into possession of land at Manomett Ponds. This he sold in July 1660 to Samuel Ryder.

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      Some time late there was a question in regard to the title of these lands, so that it was voted

      During the year 1651 Samuel acquired interest in some lands at Puncateesett "over against Road Island." These lands were in what is now the northern art of Tiverton, R. I., to the south west of Fall River. On March 22, 1663 these lands were allotted. Samuel Eddy and Thomas Savery together received hte "3rd lott which is on the ewst side of the south point bounded on the south end with a walnut stake standing att the highway side betwixt the 2cond lott and att the north end buteth to the highway att the cove as farr as a white thorne bush : att the East side bounded with the highwayat the west side with the sea & ffogland beach. (Plym. Rec., Vol. I, p. 63.)

      This is the land which Thomas Savery on Feb. 20, 1662 made over to htis brother-in-law and in exchange obtained from Samuel Eedey, land lying near Four Mile Brook and also a piece of upland lying and being near Fresh Lake. (Plym. Deeds 2-2-11.) Samuel and Elizabeth kept possession of these Puncateesett lands until Dec. 21, 1681 when

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      When John, the oldest son of Samuel was about nineteen, Samuel began to look about for some lands for him to possess. Together with others he applied to the court for a grant of land for these "firstborn" children of the colony and it is recorded

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      This tract which Capt. Southworth had purchased was divided among twenty-siz men and was known as "The 26 Men's Purchasse." It was between the Namasket River and the Tippacunnett Brook. As Samuel had asked for this grant for "his posterity," he soon deeded it to them. On March 24, Sameul

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      By this grant Samuel became one of the first proprietors of Middleberry, as the town midway between Plymouth and the Pokanoket chief was called. In 1669 this town included what had been known as Assawampsett, Nemasket, the Titicut land of the Indians, the west portion of the town of Halifax and the whole of Lakeville.

      At various times during the following years these lands were again confirmed by the Court and their boundaries were more accurately defined. On June 7, 1665 Samuel was assigned 30 acres on the west side of the Nemasket River and on July 14, 1667, he was given 6 acres on the South Meadow River which in April 1710 was definitely bounded.

      PARTS SKIPPED

      Children, b. in Plymouth Mass.:

      +33 John Eddy, b. Dec. 25, 1637.
      +34 Zachriah Eddy, b. 1639.
      +35 Caleb Eddy, b. 1643.
      +36 Obadiah Eddy., b. 1645.
      37 Hannah Eddy, b. June 23 or June 27, 1647. Nothing more is known about her.
      One of the purchasers of Swansea. He set aside this spot, which is to lye and remain as a burying place for the families of said Eddys and for such of their neighbors as the said Eddys shall admit forever.

      "To mark the resting place of his parents:

      Samuel Eddy born in 1608, son of Rev. William Eddy, Viscar of St. Dunstan's Church, in Cranbook Co., Kent, England, and came on the "Handmaid" in 1630 to Plymouth, where he resided for fifty years. He died in Swansea, Nov. 12, 1687. Elizabeth died here on May 24, 1689, in her 82nd Year."

      "To Record the names of his children:

      Zachariah, John, Elizabeth, Samuel, Ebenezer, Caleb, Joshua, and Obediah.

      This tablet erected by the Eddy Family Association, Inc. 1948."

      This is my direct ancestor which I have documented through Colonial Dames of the 17th Century.

      Samuell Eddye
      England Births and Christenings
      Name: Samuell Eddye
      Gender: Male
      Christening Date: 15 May 1608
      Christening Place: Cranbrook, Kent, England
      Father's Name: Will: Eddye
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C03077-0 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 2228373 , Reference ID: item 2
      Samuel Eddy
      FATHER: William Eddye
      MOTHER: Mary Fosten
      Samuel Eddy
      BORN: baptized May. 15, 1608 at Cranbrook, Co. Kent, England
      DIED: d. Nov. 12, 1687, at Swansea, Mass.

      MARRIED: Elizabeth (?) (probably Savery)

      CHILDREN:
      other children skipped
      Zachariah Eddy

      SAMUEL EDDY

      ORIGIN: Cranbrook, Kent
      MIGRATION: 1630
      FIRST RESIDENCE: Plymouth
      REMOVES: Swansea by 1681
      OCCUPATION: Tailor. On 26 June 1678 the town of Plymouth allowed five shillings to "Goodman Edey viz: Samuell Edey for work done by him in time of the war in making clothes for soldiers" [ PTR 1:157].
      CHURCH MEMBERSHIP: Samuel Eddy and his wife were both members of the Plymouth church, as evidenced by the inclusion of their death dates in the records of that church.
      FREEMAN: Admitted 1 January 1633/4 [ PCR 1:5]. In "1633" and 7 March 1636/7 Plymouth lists of freemen, and in Plymouth portion of 1639, 1658 and 1670 lists of freemen [ PCR 1:4, 53; 5:274; 8:174, 197].
      OFFICES: In Plymouth portion of 1643 Plymouth Colony list of men able to bear arms [ PCR 8:188].
      ESTATE: On 9 May 1631 Experience Mitchell sold to Samuel Eddy for £20 "his dwelling house, garden plot & fence, with all things nailfast in the same," reserving a portion of the garden plot [ PCR 12:18].
      Assessed 9s. in Plymouth tax lists of 25 March 1633 and 27 March 1634 [ PCR 1:10, 28].
      Granted three acres "next to the lands of Joh. Dunham the elder," 7 November 1636 [ PCR 1:46].
      On 6 July 1638 Samuel Eddy sold to Richard Clough for forty bushels of Indian corn "all that his house and garden in Plymouth wherein the said Samuel now dwelleth" [ PCR 12:31]. On the same day Nicholas Snow sold to Samuel Eddy for the same amount "all that his house & garden adjoining with the fence in & about the same in Plymouth wherein the said Nicholas now dwelleth" [ PCR 12:31].
      Granted "six acres of upland lying on the northwest side of Fresh Lake, about the fishing place, and thirty acres of upland at the Narrogansett Hill, and four acres of meadow, or else half the meadow ground there to it," 16 September 1641 [ PCR 2:26].
      On 7 March 1642[/3?] John Allen sold to Samuel Eddy "all that his house, barns & buildings with the lands thereunto belonging lying at Willingsly and Woeberry Plain" [ PCR 12:90]. On 3 March 1645[/6?] Samuel Eddy sold to John Tompson "all that his house situate at the Spring Hill in Plymouth with the garden place adjoining and three acres of upland ... lying in the Newfield" [ PCR 12:134]. On 20 March 1647[/8?] "Samuell Eedy" sold to Experience Mitchell of Duxbury "one acre of marsh meadow" [ PCR 12:151].
      As early as March 1651 Samuel Eddy had "interest and proprieties in the town's land at Punckateesett over against Road Island," and on 22 March 1663/4 he and Thomas Savory were jointly recorded as the holders of Lot #3 on "Puncateesett Necke" [ PTR 1:36, 63]. On 14 July 1667 Samuel Eddy was granted six acres of meadow "lying at the South Meadow Brook" [ PTR 1:89, 281]. On 5 August 1672 "the swamp at Wellingsley lying up the brook" was granted to "the neighbors there," being five men including "Samuell Eedey" [ PTR 1:127].
      "Samuell Eedey" was one of five men "desiring some proportions of land to accommodate them for their posterities, the Court giveth liberty unto them to look out a tract of land for that purpose, and if found convenient it shall be confirmed unto them for the ends aforesaid," 7 June 1659 [ PCR 3:164], and was in the list of those permitted to "look out some accommodations of land, as being the first borne children of this government," 3 June 1662 [ PCR 4:19].
      On 20 February 1662 Thomas Savory of Plymouth, planter, deeded to Samuel Eddy of Plymouth, tailor, "all that his whole right part and portion of the land belonging to the town of Plymouth aforesaid commonly called and known by the name of Punckateesett, and places adjacent lying over against Road Iland," in exchange for "a parcel of upland and meadow belonging to the said Samuell Eedey lying at the four mile brook in the township of Plymouth aforesaid, as also a parcel of upland being six acres lying and being at or near Fresh Lake in the township of Plymouth" [ MD 17:244-45, transcribing PCLR 2:2:111].
      On 24 March 1662 "Samuell Eedey seni[o]r" of Plymouth, tailor, granted "unto his two sons viz: Zacariah Eedey and Obadiah Eedey all that his share lot and portion of land which he hath in the land granted and confirmed by the court in June last past before the date hereof, unto sundry persons, lying near unto Namassakett," to be equally divided between them, reserving "unto his own use six acres of the upland of the said lot of land," this six acres to belong to sons Zachariah and Obadiah at his death, and that they permit him to winter three cows on their share of the land; "it was mutually agreed before the ratification of the premises by and between the said Samuell Eedey and Zachariah Eedey that in case Caleb Eedey shall desire a quarter part of the abovesaid land he shall have it"; acknowledged 26 February 1672 [ MD 18:34-35, transcribing PCLR 2:2:116; see also MD 18:37].
      On 7 March 1671[/2] Samuel Eddy of Plymouth, tailor, sold to Steven Bryant Senior of Plymouth, husbandman, "all that my one share of land be it more or less divided and undivided that I have in a certain share or tract of land called the Major's Purchase lying at or near Namassakeesett Pond"; acknowledged by Samuel Eddy and Elizabeth his wife on the same day [ PCLR 3:217].
      On 16 February 1673/4 the town of Plymouth noted that "land which Samuell Ryder bought of Samuell Eedey lying at Mannomett Ponds" was still common land, according to the records searched [ PTR 1:138].
      BIRTH: Baptized Cranbrook, Kent, 15 May 1608, son of William and Mary (Fosten) Eddy [ Eddy Gen 22].
      DEATH: Swansea 12 November 1688 [ PChR 262].
      MARRIAGE: By 1637 Elizabeth _____; d. Swansea 24 May 1689 "in her 82nd year at the end of it" [ PChR 265]. (Elizabeth has been called sister of Thomas Savory of Plymouth, based on relationships stated in deeds [ Eddy Gen 22]. Unfortunately for this argument, one of these deeds does not state the connection; the deed from Thomas Savory to Samuel Eddy of 20 February 1662 does not refer to Eddy as "brother-in-law" [ MD 17:244-45; PCLR 2:2:111]. The later deed, by the widow of Thomas, does refer to "our brother-in-law Samuel Eddy" [ PCLR 4:311], so the identification certainly remains possible. Note also that Eddy and Savory were granted land jointly in 1664 [ PTR 1:63], although these lots were all granted to pairs of individuals, not necessarily related.)
      CHILDREN:
      i JOHN, b. Plymouth 25 December 1637 [ PCR 2:82]; m. by 1659 (eldest child b. 3 May 1659 [ Gen Adv 3:84]) Hepzibah Doggett, daughter of JOHN DOGGETT .

      ii ZACHARIAH, b. about 1639 [ PCR 2:112-13]; m. (1) Plymouth 7 May 1663 Alice Padduck [ PVR 663], who d. Swansea 24 September 1692 [ SwVR 212]; m. (2) after 1692 Abigail (_____) Smith, widow of Jeremiah/Dermot Smith (in his will of 4 November 1718 Zachariah Eddy names wife Abigail, and in her will of 2 January 1720 she names her Smith children [ Eddy Gen 34, 37, citing BrPR 3:488, 693]).

      iii CALEB, b. about 1643 [ PCLR 2:1:39]; m. Swansea 6 December 1671 Elizabeth Bullock [ SwVR 22].

      iv OBADIAH, b. say 1645; m. by 1669 Bennet Ellis, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Freeman) Ellis [ NEHGR 119:172-73].

      v HANNAH, b. Plymouth 23 June 1647 [ PCR 8:4]; no further record.

      ASSOCIATIONS: Brother of JOHN EDDY of Watertown, of Abigail (Eddy) Benjamin, wife of JOHN BENJAMIN of Watertown, and of Anna (Eddy) Wines, wife of Barnabas Wines of Watertown and Southold [ Eddy Gen 13-22]. Relation to John Eddy of Taunton unknown [ Eddy Gen 879], but this John Eddy married Susannah Padduck, sister of the Alice Padduck who married Zachariah, son of Samuel Eddy.
      COMMENTS: On 10 January 1632\3 "Thomas Brian, the servant of Samuell Eedy" was punished for running away [ PCR 1:7].
      3 April 1645: "Samuell Eddy hath put his son, John Eddy, to dwell with Francis Goulder, and Katherne, his wife, until he shall accomplish the age of xxi years, (being seven years of age the xxvth of December last past,) the said Francis, and Katherne his wife, finding unto the said John, their servant, meat, drink, and apparel during the said term" [ PCR 2:82-83].
      2 March 1646/7: "Whereas Samuell Edeth, & Elizabeth, his wife, of the town of Plim[outh] aforesaid, having many children, & by reason of many wants lying upon them, so as they are not able to bring them up as they desire, and out of the good respect they bear to Mr. John Browne, of Rehoboth, one of the Assistants of this government, did both of them jointly desire that he, the said Mr. Browne, would take Zachery, their son, being of the age of seven years, & bring him up in his employment of husbandry, or any business he shall see meet for the good of their child till he come to the age of one & twenty years," which Browne agreed to do [ PCR 2:112-13].
      On 4 March 1652 Samuel Eddy and his wife Elizabeth made a similar deal with Mr. John Browne for their son Caleb "being of the age of nine years" [ MD 2:30-31, transcribing PCLR 2:1:39].
      On 7 October 1651 the grand jury presented "Elizabeth Eeddy, Seni[or], of the town of Plym[outh], for laboring, that is to say, for wringing and hanging out clothes, on the Lord's day, in time of public exercise" [ PCR 2:173]. On 1 May 1660 "Elizabeth Eedey was summoned to this Court, and appeared, to make answer for her travelling on the Lord's day from Plymouth to Boston; and affirmed that she was necessitated to go on that day, in regard that Mistris Saffin was very weak and sent for her, with an earnest desire to see her in her weakness, with some other pleas of like nature. The Court considering some circumstances in her answer, although they saw not a sufficient excuse for her fact therein, saw cause to admonish her, and so she was discharged of the Court" [ PCR 3:186].
      Because Samuel Eddy was designated "senior" in one record (24 March 1662 [ MD 18:34-35]) and Elizabeth Eddy was also called "senior" once (7 October 1651 [ PCR 2:173]), the suggestion has been made that the couple had children named Samuel and Elizabeth, but there is no other evidence for this.
      Samuel Eddy appears in three lists which appear to be compilations of those who have voted in Plymouth town meetings, about 1646, 1647 and 1668 [ PTR 1:22,25,101]. Samuel Eddy regularly hired one of the cows which were maintained for the town's poor [ PTR 1:4,19,20,27,28].

      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      p. 22 of The Eddy Family in America (Second Generation)
      10 Samuel Eddy (William) bapt. May. 15, 1608, at Cranbrook, Co. Kent, England (Church Register); d. Nov. 12, 1687, at Swansea, Mass. (Plymouth Ch. Rec., Vol. I, p. 262); m. Elizabeth . . . (probably Savery) who d. May 24, 1689, "in her 82nd year at the end of it;" in Swansea, Mass. (Plymouth Ch. Rec., Vol. I, p. 265).

      PORTIONS OF LARGE PRING IN BIO:

      It is not known whether Samuel and Elizabeth were married before they came to New England. It is supposed that Elizabeth's name was Savery from the following facts: A deed dated Feb. 20, 1662 (Plymouth Co. Deeds, 2.2.III) states that Thomas Savery makes over to Samuell Eedey, his brother-in-law, land in Puncateesett, lying over against Road Island. If Thomas Savery was a brother-in-law of Samuel Eddy, either he married Samuel's sister or Smuel married his sister. Thomas Savery's wife was named Ann. Samuel Eddy had a sister Anna, but there seems to be no doubt that Anna Eddy was the wife of Barnabas Wines. If Samuel's sister Anna was the wife of Barnabas Wines, then she was not the wife of Thomas Savery, and therefore Samuel Eddy's wife was Elizabeth Savery, sister of Thomas. It is possible that both Ann, wife of Thomas Savery and Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Eddy, were sisters, but if that were the case, it does not seem likely that Ann Savery (Savory) would have used the expression "our brother-in-law" in the following deed, dated Mar. 22, 1677/78. Ann Savery, widow, conveyed to her two sons "land at four mile brook which fell to my late husband Thomas Savery, by exchange with our brother-in-law, Samuel Eddy" (Plymouth Col. Rec., Vol. IV, p. 311).

      Of the life of Samuel Eddy in England little is known. In accordance with his father's will, his brother Phineas Eddy was to care for his education and apprentice him to some trade. He learned the trade of a tailor. Upon reaching hte age of twenty-two years he was to receive by inheritance £100. So in May of 1630 he must have received this sum and probably used a goodly portion of it to pay his passage to New England. It is known that his brother John, whom he accompanied to New England, lived either in Boxted, County of Essex, or in Nayland, County of Suffolk, in England. These two parishes are on opposite sides of the River Stour, which separates the two counties. It is possible that the records of Boxted Church, which unfortunately are lost for the years between 1617 and 1662, might have contained the record of the marriage of Samuel and Elizabeth.

      Samuel Eddy came to New England with his brother John Eddyh on the "Handmaid," leaving the port of London on August 10, 1630 and arriving at Plymouth Harbor on the 29th of October, 1630 (Old Style), after a very stormy twelve weeks at sea (See quotations under John Eddy, No. 5). Both Samuel and Jhon intended to join their distant connections, the Winthrops and the Doggetts, who had come to New England earlier in this same year, and who had settled at Boston, but they were not permitted to do so because htey had neglected to obtain letters from the Plymouth Colony, dismissing them from that colony to the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The following quotation from Goodwin's "pilgrim Republic refers to this fact. "As two of the passengers (of the Handmaid) rated as gentlemen, desired to settle at Boston, Standish took them there, but the Bay people refused to receive them because they had no testimoy." Both the Eddys returned with Standish to Plymouth and Samuel Eddy remained there. It has been conjectured by some that he found his bride in Plymouth and that she not want to leave her relatives in Plymouth, so Samuel was persuaded to remain there. He did not accompany his brother, John Eddy, when John and his family left in the winter of 1631/31, having procured the necessary letters from Plymouth to Massachusetts Bay, in accordance with the agreement between the two colonies.

      It must be remembered that Samuel Eddy was only twenty-two years of age had just finished an apprenticeship in the tailoring trade, when he set sail for New England. What remained of his inheritance after paying for his passage must have been nearly all expended when he purchased the property on Spring Hill from Experience Michell (Mitchell). This was then on South Street and is now No. 34 and 36 Market St. The deed was dated May 9, 1631.

      Experience Michell, sould unto Samuell Eeddy his dwelling house, garden plott fence, wth all things nailefast in ye same; for ye summe of twelfe pounds starling, as apears more at large by a writing under their hands to which ffrancis Eaton was witness. Only this was excepted by ye above said Experience Michell, so much of ye said garden plote as lyeth between ye ende of ye youse ye streete; throw which notwithstanding he was to allow ye said Samuell a convienient way of Pasage, and to fence ye said ground (thus excepted) at his owne charge to maintaine ye same. (plym. Col. Deeds; Vol. 1, p. 18.)

      Samuel thus acquired a house, perhaps a home for his bride. With the purchase of this property he also acquired whatever rights went with it as a landholder in Plymouth. Thus, it is that six years later on Nov. 7, 1637, Samuel received three acres of land at New Field, which was set off to him by the town.

      The persons mentioned had divers porcons allowed them 3 acres in breadth and 2 in length next to the land of John Dunham, the elder, . . . to Samuell Eedey, 3 acres . . . all wch psons have or are to build in the towne of Plymouth and these lands to belong to their dwelling houses there and not to be sold from their houses. (plym. Court Orders, Vol. 1, p. 46.)

      The "New Field" was the first section of cleared ground found by the people of Plymouth at a distance from the town. They used it as a planting ground for the most part and so these acres were to be considered as a garden plot belonging to each estate, and could not be sold apart from such homestead.

      On Jan. 1, 1632/33 Samuel Eddy was admitted to the "freedom of the colony" and received the oath (Court Orders of Plym., Vol. 1, p. 1 and p. 5). A list of the names of the "Freemen of the Incorporation of Plymouth in New England," dated 1633, contains the name, Samuell Eedey. This list at first numbered only 68 men, but later 91 men (Plym. Court Orders, Vol. 1, p. 4). At this time there were about 300 persons in Plymouth.

      On Jan. 2, 1633 the "persons were rated for the public use," that is, the tax was assessed. Samuell Eedey's tax was 9 shillings. This was the lowest tax assessed to any man. Of the 89 persons on the tax-list, 44 were taxed 9 sh. This was just half that of Miles Standish, who was assessed 18 shillings, while Governor Winslow's tax was £2-5 sh. and Bradford's was £1-16 sh., Prince's, £1-7 sh. and John Alden's £1-4 sh.

      On March 24, 1633, the lists were again made up. Samuel's tax remained the same. At various times lists of the freemen were made and sometimes the records contain the names of the freemen who were present or absent from a given town meeting. A list taken Mar. 7, 1636 contains the name of Samuel (Plym. Court Orders, Vol. 1, p. 53). In Oct. 1646 Samuel was absent from the town meeting, but was present in December of the same year (Plym. Rec.).

      On Sept. 1, 1640 the order went forth that "every inhabitant of every Towne within the Government fitt and able to beare armes must be trayned (at least) six tymes in the year." In 1643 Samuel was enrolled as a person capable of bearing arms and was made a member of a troop enrolled for the defence of the Colony against the Indians (Hist. of Middleboro, p. 588). On Nov. 29, 1652, Samuel Eddy was a witness to a deed for the purchase of lands from the Indians, "Wosamequen and Wamsutta my sonne", by Bradford, Standish, Winslow and others (May. Des. 6.245). This land is now the town of New Bedford (Hist. of New Bedford, Bristol Col., Mass. 1858, by Daniel Ricketson). In June 1668 it is recorded that Samuel voted in a town meeting in Plymouth (plym. Rec., p. 101).

      On May 29, 1670 an exact list of all the names of the "Freemen of the Jurisdiction of New Plymouth," contains the name of Samuel Eedey. This list was made because the towns of Middleberry and Swansea had been incorporated and all those freemen, who had taken up residence in either were listed as freemen of those towns and no longer as belonging to Plymouth. Samuel remained in Plymouth. His son Zachariah was listed as a resident of Swansea but neither Caleb nor Obadiah appear on the lists, as they had not at this time qualified as freemen.

      On Aug. 5, 1672 "The Swamp at Wellingsley [a section to the south of the town] lying up the brooke is Graunted wholly unto the Neighbors living there, viz. John Jourdain, Gyles Rickard, Jun., Nathaniel Morton, Sen'r, Abraham Jackson and Samuell Eedey."

      On June 27, 1677 Samuel's name appears as a proprietor of land in the Township of Middleborough, but this term proprietor does not mean that Samuel was a resident of Middleborough, but only that he was an owner of property in that town (Rec. of Town of Plym., Vol. 1, p. 191).

      On June 25, 1678, it was voted that "The collectors to Gather the minnesters maintainence for this year are William Clarke and Abraham Jackson who are to doe it on the same conditions as it was performed the last yeer: . . . five shillings was allowed to Goodman Edey, viz. Samuell Edey for work don by him in time of warr in making Clothes for Souldiers." (Plym. Col. Rec., Vol. 1, p. 157.) At this time Samuel was seventy years old. Though he could not fight as a soldier, he could aid by using his hands in helping to make clothes for the fighters, thereby finding a use for the trade he had learned in boyhood.

      From these records it is evident that Samuel and Elizabeth were residents of Plymouth all their lives until this date and nevre were residents of Middleboro. But at this time both were over seventy years of age. Their four sons had long since left Plymouth, and they were alone. Probably sometime between June 1678 and December 1681 Caleb or Zachariah of Swansea persuaded them that it was time that they gave up their own home at Plymouth, for in Dec. 1681 when giving a deed Samuel and Elizabeth gave their residence as Swansea. They both died there.

      By a study of the records, it is possible to learn much about the life of Samuel and his family. Soon after arriving at Plymouth, Samuel must have taken an apprentice boy to teach him the tailor's trade, unless perhaps he had brought him from England, for the records state that on Jan. 10, 1632:

      Thos Brian, the serv't of Samuell Eedy was brought before the Gov. and Mr. Will Bradford, Mr. John Done, Stephen Hopkins and William Gilson, Asst. because the said Thomas had runne away and absented himself five daies from his master's service & being lost in the wood & found by an Indian, was forced to returne & for this his offense was privately whipped before the Govr & Council aforementioned.

      The following year it is recorded that ffrancis Eaton, carpenter, owed Sam Eedy £2. Perhaps Samuel had been making some clothes for the Eaton family.

      So far as the records show, John Eddy, born on Dec. 25, 1637 was the oldest child of Samuel and Elizabeth. There may have been and probably were other children born before this time. In the first years of his sojourn in the new colony, there was probably very little opportunity for Samuel to ply his tailoring trade, which in England at that time was so profitable. Instead it was necessary for this young man to wrest a living for himself and his family from the soil, a calling for which he doubtless had no preparation. For these reasons and perhaps for others Samuel and Elizabeth found life in the new country very hard, so that by 1638, they were rated among the "poore of the town." In the spring of 1624 Edward Winslow returned from a trip to England and brought with him the first cattle introduced into the Colony, and a letter from James Shurley, one of the merchant-adventurers, presenting a heifer, with its increase, as a gift for the benefit of the poor of the town. Each year the "poores stock" as it was called, was assigned to those who needed it.

      (little type on p. 24 skipped)

      Twice Elizabeth Eddy was summoned to appear before the Coutr of Plymouth. It is recorded that on "Oct. 7, 1651, Wee further present Elizabeth Eeddy, Sen'r of the towne of Plymouth for laboring, that is to say, for wringing and hanging out clothes on the Lord's day, in time of publicke Exercise." She was fined ten shillings, but this fine was remitted. (Court Orders, Vol. II, p. 73.)

      (little type on p. 25 skipped)

      Samuel Eddy lived at the house which he purchased from Experience Mitchell until about 1645. During that time he was granted "6 acres of upland on the north west side of Fresh Lake, about the fishing place and 30 acres of Upland at Narrogansett Hill and 4 acres of meddow or else a half there meddow ground to yt" (Plymouth Court Orders, Vol. II, p. 26). Fresh Lake is better known by the name of Billington Sea. Narrogansett Hill was the high land to the west of the town, where a battle between two Indian tribes, the Narragansetts and the Pochanockets, had occurred.

      On July 6, 1638, Samuel Eddy appears in two transactions as follows:

      (little type on p. 25 skipped)

      In 1642 Samuel purchased a house, barn and other buildings at Willingsley and Wayberry Plain. This was a section beginning at Hobbs Hole and extending along a brook which had its source about a mile inland. Waybeerry Plain (Playne) appears often on the early maps as Oberry and Woeberry Plain, near the source of the brook aforementioned. Another method of describing this section would be to call it the settlement near Sandwich St. at Hobbs Hole and the South Pond Road.

      (little type on p. 25 skipped)

      This home at Wellingsley was their home so long as Samuel and Elizabeth lived in Plymouth. Within a month of the time that they purchased this place they apprenticed little John Eddy to one of the neighbors, Francis Goulder, who lived farther down the borok near Hobbs Hole. He was hardly a mile away.

      At some time previous to 1660 Samuel Eddy had come into possession of land at Manomett Ponds. This he sold in July 1660 to Samuel Ryder.

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      Some time late there was a question in regard to the title of these lands, so that it was voted

      During the year 1651 Samuel acquired interest in some lands at Puncateesett "over against Road Island." These lands were in what is now the northern art of Tiverton, R. I., to the south west of Fall River. On March 22, 1663 these lands were allotted. Samuel Eddy and Thomas Savery together received hte "3rd lott which is on the ewst side of the south point bounded on the south end with a walnut stake standing att the highway side betwixt the 2cond lott and att the north end buteth to the highway att the cove as farr as a white thorne bush : att the East side bounded with the highwayat the west side with the sea & ffogland beach. (Plym. Rec., Vol. I, p. 63.)

      This is the land which Thomas Savery on Feb. 20, 1662 made over to htis brother-in-law and in exchange obtained from Samuel Eedey, land lying near Four Mile Brook and also a piece of upland lying and being near Fresh Lake. (Plym. Deeds 2-2-11.) Samuel and Elizabeth kept possession of these Puncateesett lands until Dec. 21, 1681 when

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      When John, the oldest son of Samuel was about nineteen, Samuel began to look about for some lands for him to possess. Together with others he applied to the court for a grant of land for these "firstborn" children of the colony and it is recorded

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      This tract which Capt. Southworth had purchased was divided among twenty-siz men and was known as "The 26 Men's Purchasse." It was between the Namasket River and the Tippacunnett Brook. As Samuel had asked for this grant for "his posterity," he soon deeded it to them. On March 24, Sameul

      (little type on p. 26 skipped)

      By this grant Samuel became one of the first proprietors of Middleberry, as the town midway between Plymouth and the Pokanoket chief was called. In 1669 this town included what had been known as Assawampsett, Nemasket, the Titicut land of the Indians, the west portion of the town of Halifax and the whole of Lakeville.

      At various times during the following years these lands were again confirmed by the Court and their boundaries were more accurately defined. On June 7, 1665 Samuel was assigned 30 acres on the west side of the Nemasket River and on July 14, 1667, he was given 6 acres on the South Meadow River which in April 1710 was definitely bounded.

      PARTS SKIPPED

      Children, b. in Plymouth Mass.:

      +33 John Eddy, b. Dec. 25, 1637.
      +34 Zachriah Eddy, b. 1639.
      +35 Caleb Eddy, b. 1643.
      +36 Obadiah Eddy., b. 1645.
      37 Hannah Eddy, b. June 23 or June 27, 1647. Nothing more is known about her.

  • Sources 
    1. [S323] Family Data Collection - Births, Edmund West, comp., (Name: Ancestry.com Operations Inc; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2001;).

    2. [S264] Web: RootsWeb Cemetery Index, 1800-2010, Ancestry.com, (Name: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2013;).